A nice micro-essay by Om Malik….hey, didn’t know that Glenn Fleishman joined this new nano-venture called JIWire, which hopes to be all things Wi-Fi.
Om lists some characteristics of micropubs, also called nanomedia:
- Micro-pubs have a narrow and extreme focus on one niche category
- Micro-pub editor/founder is an expert in his chosen arena
- Micro-pubs use open source tools and a content management system like Moveable Type or pMachine.
- Micro-pubs all command very high CPM rates because of their narrow focus.
- Micro-pubs are more than just a blog, I.e. they have a mix of links and original reporting.
- Micro-pubs only work with a skeletal crew – add more people and the business model of these micro-pubs breaks down.