Nearly two years ago we had our first Social Media Deals Report in which we recounted the social media VC and M&A deals in various categories of the social media sector. Because we’ve had numerous requests for another edition since then, we’re pleased to present to you a new edition of our report, offering not just a list of stories concerning this sector, but also charts and graphs of the biggest investors, most active acquirers, busiest categories, and much more.
Using data during the 15-month period from January 2007 through Q1 2008 from paidContent.org, mocoNews.net and paidContent:UK, we’ve analyzed how much these investments are worth, how much money is being spent on the acquisitions and in-depth looks at the key categories.
– Total number of investments: 400
– Total number of disclosed investments: 341 valued at $2,763,715,000
– Average investment size: $8,104,736
– Best estimated value of overall investment in the space (disclosed and undisclosed): $3,074,215,000 total invested
– Total number of acquisitions: 131
– Total number of disclosed acquisitions: 41 disclosed valued at $13,422,310,000
– Average acquisition size: $327,313,415
The chart below gives a topline overview of where the money went: