MySpace had a brief flurry of activity this afternoon, when reports came out that it had done some trimming of its staff. Turns out it was a yearly review thing, and some non-performing employees were let go, and new ones are being hired in their place.
Separate from that, the company has announced a slew of new senior execs at the social network, many of them familiar names in our industry:
– Manu Thapar, SVP of Engineering. He was previously the VP of Engineering for Yahoo (NSDQ: YHOO), where he was responsible for software infrastructure engineering and ops.
– Angela Courtin, SVP of Marketing. She was previously at MTV Networks (NYSE: VIA), as VP of Integrated Marketing, responsible for overseeing the West Coast department. At MySpace, she fills in the role that Shawn Gold held until last year.
– Tish Whitcraft, SVP of Customer Care. Also ex-Yahoo, but her most recent role was VP of Global Customer Experience and Operations at ooma, the consumer Voip start-up.
– Jason Oberfest, VP of Business Development. Prior to this he was Managing Director of Business Development and Product Management for Los Angeles Times Interactive. Effectively the business head of LATimes.com…will find out who the new head is.
– Abe Thomas, VP of Online Marketing. Prior to MySpace, Abe was at eBay (NSDQ: EBAY) and PayPal.