Kicking off the full day ahead of paidContent Advertising, Geoff Ramsey, eMarketer’s CEO, talked about the rapid growth in mobile and the opportunities ahead — in particular, in mobile advertising. Half of marketers in the U.S. now have mobile in their marketing plans. But, he said, mobile is still best in a supporting role — not a starring role — and should be integrated with other media.
Some other stats from his talk:
– There are 3.8 billion mobile users worldwide.
– In terms of media consumption, TV reigns supreme — users spend just over 4 hours a day watching TV. 2 hours and 35 minutes is spent surfing the internet daily. Mobile comes in third at 50 minutes a day, equaling the combined time spent on magazines and newspapers.
– U.S. smartphone penetration is 38 percent, totaling about 90 million users. Penetration rates in western Europe: UK has 42 percent, while Spain comes a close second at 41 percent. Rounding out the top three is Italy at 38 percent. China’s mobile penetration is 57 percent.
– U.S. mobile usage has grown 50 percent.
– Tablet growth is exploding and Apple (NSDQ: AAPL) dominates 85 percent marketshare.
The full presentation is available here: